It's an incomplete list, of course, but these two definitely stand at the top of it:
- The fiddler on the roof
- Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
Yet to be seen
Do you have this feeling sometimes you're for nothing but watching a movie. And realize you have no clue whatsoever which. A movie is like a restaurant, it's not something you should improvise at the last minute. Here I compile a list of movies that remain for us to see.
Movies I want to/should see: (may be with a reason why)
Stroke out are those that I've seen, see below. I add to this list at the bottom.
- movies from the Coen brothers: Raising Arizona, The Hudsucker Proxy, Miller's Crossing, Blood Simple,
The Man Who Wasn't There, Barton Fink.
- Given that of the three Coen brothers movies I know, two are among the best I've ever seen (Fargo and the big Lebowski), and the third one (No country for old men) is also a masterpiece, it's only natural to check the other things they've been working on... it might just as well be equally genial.
- Gene Wilder's movies: Young Frankenstein and
The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother.
- Citizen Kane. Classic.
L'homme de Rio.
- Some scenes are in Brasilia while it was in construction. The story looks fun (after Hergé's album, l'Oreille cassée).
- Singin' in the Rain. Classic.
- Triumph of the Will. Historic document. Apparently, also a classic.
Jésus de Montréal.
- I'm interested in adaptations of the gospels or biblical texts in general in modern settings (see Jour de Feu of Barjavel for a nice one in litterature, that should also have been a movie). Also, I love Quebecers' accent.
- Memorias del Subdesarrollo. On Cuba.
- Les Enfants du Paradis (Children of Paradise). Classic.
- La Règle du Jeu (The Rules of the Game). Classic.
- Ladri di Biciclette (The Bicycle Thief). Classic (Elena however tells me she doesn't like it).
- Seven Samurai. Classic.
- Броненосец Потёмкин (Battleship Potemkin). Classic.
- Plan 9 from Outer Space.
- Supposed to be the worst film ever, so bad it's actually good .
- The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Classic.
- 8½ (Otto e mezzo). Classic.
- Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans. Classic.
Tokyo story. Classic.
- Searching for Bobby Fischer. About this not-grandmaster who is also a champion of martial art.
- Un roi sans divertissement. From Giono's masterpiece (directed by Giono himself). Music by Brel.
L'Année dernière à Marienbad which I didn't hear about until Inception.
Serenity, once voted the greatest science fiction film of all time by SFX magazine.
- A Hard Day's Night, a classic, also allegedly very good (featuring the Beatles during the height of Beatlemania).
- Mon oncle Antoine, a French Canadian movie (I love them) that is highly rated .
- Giv'at Halfon Eina Ona, a cult Israelian comedy.
- El callejón de los milagros, famous in Mexico.
- Sexmission, Polish comedy, recommended by Luboš Motl.
- The dead father. I didn't know there was a movie!
Cemetery Junction. I am a fan of Ricky Gervais.
- The Boys from Brazil, initially I came to learn of this movie for the comparison between the score by Jerry Goldsmith  with one by Patrick Williams for a Columbo episode . As the story is a surreal plot about cloning Hitler involving actors such as Laurence Olivier and Gregory Peck, I could but put it on my list!
- The Secret Agent, I know the score by Philip Glass, the novel has quite a reputation too, so I also put it on my reading list.
127 hours, I learned of the movie when I put myself in a similar situation (with a rope anchoring a boat instead of my arm).
- Ludwig by Visconti , on the mysterious and fanciful Bavarian king.
- Monster's Ball. Staring the man who wasn't there in another movie shot the same year and with, apparently, equal critical acclaim.
- Jim Jarmusch's movies such as Dead man or Stranger Than Paradise, recommended by a Berlin friend and cinema connoisseur.
Movies from the previous list I have seen since
You might follow the link if you want some recommendation or know our/my personal feelings (not all are clickable, as a matter of fact, none currently are).
- The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother.
- Tokyo Story.
- Jésus de Montréal.
- L'homme de Rio.
- L'Année dernière à Marienbad.
- Cemetery Junction.
- 127 hours.
- The Man Who Wasn't There